MS Office Error code 403-404 while trying to update or install MS office 365 or 2016 is due to network connection errors, internal registry conflicts, reset proxy or firewall, insufficient space allocations and rules. The basic windows installer files in the device may not work properly in case of these registry corruptions. Especially, MS Office is now an inevitable constituent of our day to day life such as universities, schools, business organisations, researches and business organizations. So solving Office software/program error has a crucial role in our trouble-free computing.
Some of the significant factors causing MS Office Error code 403-404 are
- Disk space error
- Registry corruptions
- Devices file corruptions
- Streaming connectivity error
- Firewall rules
- Multiple copies installed.
Steps are given below to resolve Microsoft Office Error code 403-404
System file checker is a pre-installed windows effectiveness service which allows the users of windows to scan and fix damage or corruptions in windows system files. The SFC scan will identify the damage or corrupted files and restore or repair the particular file from cached copies of system files located in a compressed folder at %WinDir%\System32\dllcache.
Steps to perform SFC scan to fix Error code 403-4:
- First of all, ensure that the device date and time is correct.
- Open a command prompt with administrator privileges.
- Enter SFC /SCANNOW and do not close the Scan window until it is 100% complete.
- Once the scan finishes, start the installation to check whether Error code 403-4 is fixed.
Disable firewall to fix MS Office Error code 403-404
You might face Microsoft Error code 403-404 if the firewall on the device block the MS Office installation or update due to security reasons. In order to bypass the Microsoft Office Error code 403-404, we need to disable the firewall temporarily to install/update Office product.
Steps to disable windows firewall:
- Open control panel
- Click on system and security and Open Windows Firewall
- Click on the option of turn windows firewall ON or OFF
- Choose Turn OFF windows firewall and click on OK button
- Finally, start installation/update to check whether Error code 403-404 is fixed or not
Execute disk clean up to fix Microsoft Error code 403-404
Disk space error or low disk space on your computer may also case Error code 403-404 while updating/installing Microsoft Office 365 or 2016. In order to fix the Error code 403-404 due to disk space error, it is recommended to perform disk clean up on your computer.
Follow the steps to perform disk clean up:
- Open control panel
- Click on system and security and Choose the Administrative tools
- Open Disk clean up and once disk clean up box is opened, choose C Drive and click on OK.
- Check the folders to be cleaned and click on OK button.
- Once Disk clean up finished cleaning, start installation/update to check whether Error code 403-404 is fixed or not.
Registry repair to fix Error code 403-4
You might also face Error code 403-404 due to binary data error or registry corruptions. These registry errors needs repair for a proper installation of Microsoft Office 365 or Office 2016 on your PC.
Steps to fix registry errors are described below:
- Open Registry editor with administrator privilege
- Navigate to Office registry folder in the given order
- Delete the subsidiary keys in Office folders and also delete subfolders such as EXCEL, WORD, POWERPOINT , OUTLOOK, in HKEY_LOCAL_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\OFFICE\ folder
- Delete Licence server’s key and Licence Server Redirection key.
- Once the damage or corrupted keys are deleted, start installation/update to check whether Error code 403-4 is fixed.
Comprehensive removal and reinstall of MS office 365 or Office 2016 to fix Error code 403-404
The multiple or pre-installed copies of MS Office program on the device may blocks the installation of Microsoft Office program with Error code 403-404. In the case of duplicate copies of MS office program it is suggested to remove the MS Office program on your device completely to install Microsoft Office 365 or Office 2016.
Steps to remove the older version of Microsoft office:
- Open control panel
- Navigate to programs and to Programs and features
- Check for Microsoft Office in the installed list and click and uninstall Microsoft Office from the listed applications.
- Once the program is removed completely, start installation/update to check whether Error code 403-4 is fixed.
Kaylee Smith is a self-professed security expert; he has been making the people aware of the security threats. His passion is to write about Cybersecurity, malware, social engineering, Games,internet and new media. He writes for Ms-Office products at www.office.com/setup or office.com/setup .